CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Moments


Welcome to my blog.


I've decided that my blog should have a theme.  I guess I'm just a put things in boxes kind of girl. Therefore, a theme.  I chose one of my favorite words...felicity.  Although summarized by most as happiness, to me it contains a particular form of happiness.

Happy is too broad, joy is too bursting.  I prefer the calm, meditative reassurance of felicity.  I also appreciate its second definition in this literary application, "the ability to find appropriate expression for one's thoughts".

Marianne Dashwood gushes to her sister,"Is there a felicity in the world superior to this?".   However Marianne tends toward over-indulgence in her sensibilities.  Such passionate souls, as she remarks herself, often meet with tragic ends.  I will borrow Marianne's word with less passion, more positive reinforcement.

Here's what I mean...

I have spent a lot of my first forty years waiting, hoping, and expecting a feeling of constant happiness..."Do I feel happy today, or not?"  I admit I have seen the glass half empty, believing that someday it would be filled. 

But in those years there were moments.  
Moments when I would look at where I was, in the moment I was, and in that moment...I felt felicity.  I am slowly coming to realize that I didn't need to find or make the moments, I just need to recognize that they are always there.

And so my blog is one for moments of felicity.....lots, and lots, and lots of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything on your blog is so beautiful and inspirational--the I had to read it through tears. I am so thankful you are my daughter. I guess I've made it through my trials in life by recognizing felicity, and I didn't even realize it had such a beautiful name. Thank you for reminding me of my day by day blessings. I love you.

Luisa said...

I like what you wrote...I like to enjoy the little moments too. One of my favorite songs is The Secret of Life by Faith Hill...the song is about a guy trying to figure out what the secret of life is, and someone tells him it's all the little things that happen every day (in so many words). One of my newer favorite songs is a recent one by Trace Adkins called You're Gonna Miss This. It's about different moments in life where you feel stressed out, but after time moves on and you look back, you're gonna miss those moments--in other words, enjoy them while you're in them:) Anyway, I just thought I'd share those two songs with you because they really speak to me and remind me to enjoy and live in the moment.