CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

...the final frontier...

Been anxiously awaiting the Space Shuttle launch. I've never seen one in person, but saw one on a big screen live at the Griffith Observatory once. It was, surprisingly, nerve wracking and moving.
I've always been a space nut. One of my earliest memories is watching the moon landing on tv. I don't know whether the moon landing itself left the impression or the fact that we were staying in a motel (something we never did) was more exciting. But anyway, I remember it. And here it is 40 years later! If you would like to travel back in time to re-experience man's exciting adventure to the moon, go check out this website that is re-creating it in real time.

Also, click the button on the sidebar at the bottom of my page to see today's Astronomy Picture of the Day.

Then, tonight, go outside and look at the stars for awhile. I have a lot more philosophical stuff to say about the heavens, but today I'm just posting the fun stuff and crossing my fingers for that launch.

4 comments:

Luisa said...

You look so cute in that picture! I didn't really know you were a space nut...where are you guys at so that you are watching a launch? I didn't know about it.

trimarie said...

I missed today's launch. But one time when we were at Griffith Observatory they were having a launch and showed it in that big theater where they show the movie. It was really cool. I have seen an actual space shuttle in person. Another day I will blog more about my space nutiness.

Mom said...

I love that little girl that made the trip so fun.

Lauren said...

one of my favorites past times is falling asleep under the stars on top of our houseboat: looking at constellations and shooting stars. It is breathtaking not just at the beauty of it all but something deeper, the creation of it that carries with it reverence and awe. I love reading sydney "there's no place like space" it's a great rhyming book that teaches her more about it. I'm glad we live in a place where we can actually see the stars, well not so much in the summer now that i think about it.